alt.MUTEK Call for Proposals
Seeking a Montréal-based artist
July 12, 2017
MUTEK seeks a Montréal-based artist working in digital technology and new media interested in exploring the theme, “the subversion of reality.” In collaboration with Concordia University’s Milieux Institute for Arts, Culture and Technology, London’s Barbican and supported by the Ville de Montréal, the alt.MUTEK project is a companion to the alt.barbican incubator-accelerator program currently underway, which will include activities during the 18th edition of the festival (August 22 to 27).
alt.MUTEK assists research towards the creation of a new work and includes:
• Access to facilities and mentoring at Milieux from mid-August through October
• A $5000 CAD creation fee
• Participation in cohort activities of alt.barbican during MUTEK festival 2017
• 1 flight to London in October (plus accommodation and per diem), which coincides with the end of the working periods for both projects
• Presentation of the new work (in process) during a MUTEK event and at the Barbican in October (format to be defined, f.ex. exhibition and/or oral presentation)
• A presentation and production budget up to $4500 CAD
• Possibility that at the end of the process MUTEK would engage further with the artist to produce the new work
In keeping with the criteria outlined for the theme for the original alt.barbican project, enquiries might include, but are not limited, to the following:
• Digital mimicry — exploring representations of human form and experience, the natural environment, and the uncanny
• Social interaction, creativity and enterprise — new ways of communicating, making and business in the age of virtual reality
• Heightening or repressing human senses with technology — innovative techniques for viewer engagement and opportunities for emotional experiences
• Practitioners might be employing or interested in working with virtual or augmented reality, projection mapping, ambisonic, binaural or other immersive sound formats.
Applicants should also associate their projects with one of Milieux’s research-creation clusters:
To apply, please provide:
• A brief statement on your practice and why you would like to take part in alt.MUTEK (150 words)
• A brief statement on your interest in the theme of “subversion of reality” (100 words)
• Identify the research-creation cluster at Milieux that best fits with your project
Application should be sent by email before July 21, 2017.
This project is supported by the ministère de la Culture et des Communications and the Ville de Montréal as part of the Entente sur le développement culturel de Montréal.
Photo: Dries Depoorter (alt.barbican artist), Seattle Crime Cams